Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The effect that technology has on children


Recently I had some family come to visit. I have a young cousin that is so involved in technology its scary. The first thing I noticed is that he had an Ipod and it never left his ears. I think the Ipod is a good invention, however I think its needs to be more educational. Instead of just the most popular songs it should be a science lesson or a upcoming story that the class is studying. They are up on all the newest songs, can you imagine how smart our children would be if they could listen to a classroom lecture instead of the music. If we can find a way to engage children in technology as a learning experience it would be wonderful.

The next day when we were going to go shopping, the first thing he needed to do was to get the navigation system and figure out the directions to the mall. I told him that I did not know the address and he used my aunts phone to find the nearest Sears and then got that address and set the system to get us to the mall. I was totally amazed in how technical the child was he how he knew how to utilize technology in more ways then I could think of.

Another factor of the technology is video games. I witness many children playing them day in and day out. I think video games have a negative impact on children. Most of the games available are violent and have sexual scenes that young children should not have access to. I personally don't understand the need to play a game filled with crime and adult conduct. Its hard for us as parents to teach our children how to act, to then have a video game teach the total opposite. I understand that its just a game but that is a hard concept for a young adult/child to understand.

After seeing the impact that technology has on children I want to be more knowledgeable when it comes to technology. I believe that if the children are interested in it they will strive to learn and will be more involved in school. We as educators need to find what children want and figure out what it is they are interested in and build our curriculum off technology. If the children all could use the computer for assignments and research I think it would be more interesting to them. They will perform better and learn more.

No comments: